16 January 2014

Of Feeling

Despite how I have at times tried to capture the immediacy of feeling in the form of this blog, it's when the feelings are heavier, not necessarily more nuanced, but in need of better-chosen verbiage, that I try to both take time to frame and also try to rush deeper headlong, to catch the texture of the rush of emotion.

Today, I had found out that one of my erstwhile students had passed away.  A month or so ago, an underclassman of mine from high school had also succumbed to his condition in a hospital, and similar (trickles? floods?) flows of emotion are running in me.

I can't say that I was close with either of them, but they were both social-media contacts, and I waded through the messages of their networks in the wakes of their passing.  But you would not need to be close to feel the loss that runs like a wave in these messages.  Some are short messages, and some are anecdotes.  I am gladdened that no vitriol was evident in either case, well-wishers and bon-voyagers throughout.

I briefly muse that it always feels worse, an unfairness unspoken, of younger men and women taken ahead of you.

I guess that is all I really can say.  I will not eulogize, as there are better people to do so.

No comments: