08 February 2006

Long Examination and Cursory Assessment

I do have a long-standing habit of brief long examination cycles from conception to evaluation. In essence this is mostly because I believe (and execute) that examinations are the purest form of assessment for students, and although this is not entirely fair for worlds of reasons, and not entirely true, for most practicum and laboratory-based classes. Even in the latter cases, if your practicum is mostly held outside of teacher supervision, the examination is the best individual assessment tool, until probably the time when brain scans will be cheap, concise and won't damage the aforementioned brain (any more than higher education does).

I keep my cycles short (except in the case of inevitable checking backlogs, but only then in the checking and feedback portion) so that there is less chance for the unsavory to occur. I rarely keep copies of the newest exam over for longer than overnight, and rarely reuse them. (The exception, unfortunately, is for the CS 135 examinations, one of which I am currently proctoring, having taken over for the eternally gracious Ate Mila. I was proctoring my CS11 examination, which had ninety minute overlap.)

I do try to make checking short as well, as a contiguous period. It helps me remember to score similar answers similarly, to keep things fair.

No comments: