13 June 2006

Sudoku Hell

It is entirely TJ's fault that I've been on a Sudoku binge since Friday, straight through the DCS-EEE collaborative workshop at MMLDC (although it is entirely of my own compunction that I left the nice atmosphere of Antipolo a day early), up to now, stalling me from actually being productive. On the plus side, it's helping me algorithmically solve the Sudoku programming problem, though I'm currently at a quandary over a particularly fiendish problem found at the Times Online's Interactive Su Doku Puzzle. When I do get to finish the program, I may discuss it here.

Confound my puzzle-loving nature...

Edit: Due to heavy rains, I wasn't able to leave the office immediately to pursue other pressing matters, I was able to break through the problem with some help from Mario. Now I want some better way to encode a Sudoku puzzle so I can test the program further...

2 comments:

a said...

Not surprisingly, when I first heard of Sudoku my first reaction was to code a program to solve it. My input format was a CSV file, and I came up with a working, pure brute-force approach in about 45 minutes. Can't find the code though. :(

Unknown said...

There's a not-so brute force solution that I've come up with that solves the Fiendish Times Online Puzzles, but I have yet to try the Evil puzzles of Web Sudoku on them. Frankly, I had to give up after trying one of the Evil puzzles.